Study Abroad and Change Your Life
With more than 300 study abroad programs in 70 countries, Carolina consistently ranks among the top public universities for the largest number of students who study abroad.
Studying abroad is so much more than an academic path; it’s a life-changing experience. You’ll meet new people, improve language skills, learn adaptability, and gain experience negotiating across social, cultural, and political boundaries--all of which are increasingly valuable skills in today’s career paths. You may apply to study abroad any time after your first year--for year-long, semester-long and summer programs.
Where can you go?
From Mongolia to New Zealand, Carolina offers study abroad opportunities through partnerships with universities and organizations in all corners of the world. A selection of current programs and partnerships include:
• Lorenzo de Medici Institute, Florence, Italy
• Chinese University of Hong Kong
• Center for Wildlife Studies, Nairobi Park, Kenya
• Kings College, London
• The Center for Sustainable Development Studies, La Presa, Costa Rica
• UNC Summer Program in Oxford, England
• University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
• Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Argentina, Buenos Aires
• UNC in Montpellier, Montpellier, France
• National University of Singapore
• American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
• UNC in Seville, Seville, Spain
For Anh Ly ‘06, undergraduate experiences abroad sparked a global-savvy career. After graduating from Carolina, where she took advantage of multiple study abroad programs, Ly quickly landed a job in New York City as a multimedia producer for MSN. Within her first year, her boss entrusted her with an international assignment: document the rise of China’s middle class. As part of this assignment, Ly jetted across the Pacific for a three-week tour of some of China’s burgeoning cities. “I think the reason my boss gave me this opportunity is because of my study abroad experiences in Asia,” says Ly.