When it comes to college, you’re looking for more than an education. You’re looking for an extraordinary learning experience—one that offers you unlimited opportunity. To pursue the fields that intrigue you. To collaborate with talented classmates and make your mark on the world. To build a foundation of ideas, insights, and intellectual connections and relationships that you can depend on for the rest of your life. If this is what you’re seeking, we’re looking for you.
Consider these facts:
- Established in 1789 as America’s first public university, continues to thrive as a place of academic excellence. U.S. News & World Report’s “Great Schools, Great Prices,” recently named us “first among public universities” for the fifth consecutive year based on academic quality and the net cost of attendance.
- Carolina is a national leader among public universities in the number of students who win such prestigious national and international scholarships as the Rhodes, Fulbright, Goldwater, Luce, Marshall, Truman, and Udall. Our students and faculty, together, have won 27 Pulitzer Prizes. And our 3,200-strong faculty include 36 members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and 50 who have received Fulbright Scholarships since 1990.
- With more than 70 outstanding majors and 2,700 classes to choose from (nearly half with fewer than 20 students) and a student-faculty ratio of 14:1, Carolina students find countless opportunities to collaborate with their professors.
- Our honors program--we call it Honors Carolina--is not only one of the nation’s most challenging, but also one of its most inclusive. Even if you’re unable to join as an Honors student, you may still apply during your first three semesters. In fact, any student with a 3.0 GPA or better qualifies to attend an Honors class, and approximately 30 percent of enrollment is made up of students outside the honors program.
- Carolina students connect to the real world at every stage of their education. Nearly 50 percent participate in breakthrough research projects in everything from the performing arts to clinical laboratory work at the world-renowned UNC Hospitals. They choose from more than 30,000 internship opportunities across the globe.
- Carolina students are well-prepared for global leadership because of our wide array of international study experiences through UNC Global. With 300 programs in 70 different countries, Carolina is also a leader among public research universities in the number of undergraduates who study abroad.
"My classes taught me how the business world works and how to compete in a global market. But Carolina has also taught me that money isn’t the ultimate measure of success. There’s something bigger than money—the contribution you
can make to society."
Yuxi Lui⁄ Business Administration⁄ New York City, N.Y.